In today’s global economy, outsourcing has become a common business practice. Businesses of all sizes have discovered the benefits of outsourcing various functions, including software development. By outsourcing software development, businesses can save money and time while also gaining access to top talent. In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of outsourcing software development and provide tips for making it a successful experience.
Today, Software Outsourcing is a widely used method. Simply said, as a result of the quickening pace of technological improvement, the software development industry is always changing. These fields are always evolving as a result of new methodologies being developed, new programming languages being used, and the replacement of outdated business procedures with more innovative ones. As a result, outsourcing software development in 2023 has become increasingly important for businesses.
Software Outsourcing has become a common practice across the globe, even for fortune 500, so let’s explore how to outsource successfully and when to outsource software development. But it is just the beginning. Let’s look into Software Outsourcing in 2023 and see how it might benefit your business.
If you find this blog helpful be sure to follow us on LinkedIn for the latest news and updates!
What Is Outsourcing?
When an enterprise decides to hire a third party to create a specific piece of software, this is known as software outsourcing. Outsourcing is the practice of hiring external companies or professionals to perform tasks normally handled by internal staff. It can be used for a variety of services, including software development. By outsourcing software development, businesses gain access to experienced developers with specialized skills and expertise that may be hard to find in-house.
One of the biggest advantages of outsourcing software development is cost savings. Outsourcing typically costs less than hiring full-time employees and the expertise offered by third-party developers can be significantly greater. Additionally, outsourcing gives businesses the flexibility to scale up or down as needed without having to carry excess overhead costs. This flexibility allows companies to allocate more resources to other areas of the business, such as marketing and R&D.
Software Outsourcing Global Statistics
Software outsourcing is a popular choice for businesses of all sizes and industries. According to the 2019 Global Outsourcing Survey, nearly two-thirds (61%) of companies are currently using some form of software outsourcing. Additionally, the survey found that 58% of respondents cited cost savings as their primary motivation for outsourcing software development services.
According to a Statista report on “IT functions outsourced worldwide 2017,” which polled CIOs worldwide, software application development was the most frequently outsourced IT function, with 64% of interviewees stating that it was the most frequently outsourced IT function. In reality, software outsourcing plays a significant role in the ongoing global IT outsourcing business growth.
According to a new Statista study, the size of the global market for IT outsourcing in 2019 reached a staggering 66.52 billion Euros. According to a separate Technavio report titled “IT Outsourcing Market by Service, End-User, and Geography: Forecast and Analysis 2020-2024,” the market is expected to grow by USD 98 billion between 2020 and 2024.
Such solid statistics suggest that there would be an increase in demand for software development outsourcing. This is so that corporate companies can optimise and automate their business processes. It will eventually act as the basis for their company’s digital transformation.
Why Outsource Software Development?
Finding the perfect outsourcing provider is typically made easier by concentrating on the main reasons for outsourcing. In light of this, the main question is, why do business owners outsource software development? The foregoing are the most likely responses you will obtain if you question anyone with outsourcing expertise.
- Access to Expertise: Outsourcing software development gives businesses access to a vast pool of highly qualified, experienced professionals. These specialists have an in-depth understanding of the latest technologies, frameworks, and coding languages needed for developing complex software applications.
- Cost Savings: Software outsourcing often proves cost savings over hiring full-time employees. Companies no longer need to bear the overhead costs associated with hiring and training staff, as well as other additional expenses.
- Agility: Software outsourcing provides businesses with greater flexibility when it comes to scaling up or down their development teams according to their project needs. Furthermore, they have access to resources on a global level without having to worry about hiring and training staff from multiple locations.
- Quality Assurance: Outsourced software development teams come with experience in using the latest technologies, frameworks, and coding languages. This means that businesses get access to high-quality products delivered on time without compromising on standards of quality.
- Faster Time-to-Market: Since outsourcing companies are often located in multiple countries, they can take advantage of the cost savings associated with working non-standard hours. This can help speed up the development process and allow businesses to launch their products or services quickly.
Outsourcing Software Development Models
The concept of outsourcing has experienced several changes during the years that it has existed as a service in the field of information technology, resulting in the development of numerous outsourcing models.
Offshore OutsourcingThis type of software development model is a popular outsourcing choice for companies. The vendor for these projects is typically based in a different nation which allows the client to benefit from a more affordable workforce and resources. Offshore outsourcing offers businesses access to a larger talent pool, cost reductions when compared with domestic services, and the opportunity to switch focus to core job functions. With overseas software developers, companies enjoy access to experienced personnel often at discounted rates than domestic suppliers. Additionally, overhead costs can also be lessened, while outsourcers buckle down and make progress on high-end coding assignments. With their deadlines met and their unique expertise reflected throughout the final project details, customers can continue running regular operations at their workplace.
Dedicated Development TeamA dedicated development model allows businesses to have access to a team of professionals working exclusively on their projects. This type of model offers a range of advantages, including the ability to quickly scale up or down, tight control over technology and resources, and the assurance that all work is being done by experts. With a dedicated team on board, businesses can rest assured that their project is in the hands of professionals who are always available and responsive. The team also works towards meeting deadlines, thereby helping businesses to launch products or services quickly. A dedicated model is a great option for companies looking for long-term software development partnerships. This type of team allows customers to benefit from cost savings associated with experienced professionals without having to bear any additional costs.
Staff AugmentationA staff augmentation model involves integrating an outside development team into an existing in-house team. This type of software development model allows businesses to have access to experienced professionals without having to hire full-time employees. Businesses benefit from reduced overhead costs, as well as the ability to quickly scale up or down their teams depending on their project needs. Staff augmentation also allows businesses to remain flexible while they develop their software product. This type of model allows them to quickly adjust and modify the project based on new requirements, thereby ensuring that the final product is up-to-date with industry standards.
Hybrid Outsourcing ModelThe hybrid outsourcing model combines two or more of the models discussed above. This type of model is often chosen by businesses who want to benefit from cost savings associated with offshore outsourcing, while still having the flexibility and control offered by a dedicated development team. By combining these different models, businesses can benefit from their unique advantages while avoiding their drawbacks. The hybrid model can also be used to combine the advantages of onshore and offshore outsourcing. Businesses may choose to outsource certain parts of their project, such as coding and visual design while keeping other components in-house. This allows businesses to quickly modify their products and services based on customer feedback without having to go through the process of transferring the project to another team.
10 Steps to Help You Outsource Software Development Projects
Nowadays, outsourcing software development is big business since it provides high ROI when done correctly. According to a survey by Accelerance, companies are expected to spend € 133.3 billion on outsourced development by 2025. Many of them would consider this to be a good use of the funds. Some individuals, though, can come to regret their decision.
The harsh truth about outsourcing software development is that not every project will be a success. These failures might be mostly caused by a substandard outsourcing strategy, selecting the wrong outsourcing partner, or failing to communicate needs.
- Determine Your Business Needs: It is important to first identify your current and future objectives to find the right outsourcing partner.
- Analyze Your Budget: Knowing your budget helps to set clear goals and objectives for the project. It also helps you find a suitable partner who can meet your budget requirements.
- Research Different Outsourcing Models: Learn about the different types of outsourcing models that are available and decide which one is best suited to your needs.
- Research Potential Vendors: Once you’ve identified the model that works for you, it’s time to find potential vendors to work with. Look for vendors that specialize in the type of technology you need or have experience in similar projects.
- Establish Expectations and Set Deadlines: Before signing an agreement, it’s important to have clear expectations and deadlines in place. This will ensure both parties are on the same page and avoid any miscommunication.
- Draft a Professional Services Agreement: A professional services agreement should be drafted to protect both the customer and vendor from any potential disputes. This agreement should include timelines, ownership of intellectual property rights, and payment terms.
- Monitor Progress: Once the project has been launched, it’s important to monitor progress regularly. This ensures that the project is meeting its goals and timelines.
- Establish Feedback Mechanisms: Communication between all parties involved should be a priority throughout the project. Establishing feedback mechanisms helps to ensure any problems or ideas can be addressed quickly and effectively.
- Test and Validate: Before deploying your software product, it should be tested and validated by a qualified team. This ensures that the software meets all of its requirements before going live.
- Review Results: After the project has been completed, it’s important to review the results to determine if any improvements can be made for future projects. Additionally, feedback from both customers and vendors should be collected to help guide future projects.
Top Companies That Implemented Software Outsourcing
After the COVID-19 epidemic, around three out of every four CEOs desire to permanently remote at least 5% of the previously on-site workforce, according to Gartner’s CFO report.
In times of crisis, entrepreneurs have historically understood the value of outsourcing and remote work. It is apparent that outsourcing and remote labour are practical ways to employ Industry 4.0 digital technology to keep the business operating, despite disagreements on the benefits and drawbacks of doing so.
Outsourcing software development in 2022 can be a great way for businesses to access the latest technology and remain competitive in their respective industries. By following these 10 steps, businesses will have a better chance of finding the right partner and ensuring that their project is completed on time and within budget. With careful planning and execution properly, outsourcing software development can be a great way to maximize ROI for your business.
Without a question, outsourcing is a complex subject. Nevertheless, with the right software development outsourcing partner, careful contracting, and a clear understanding of your business needs, you will gain in-depth expertise and the application of capital-preserving procedures that allow you to achieve the best results for your business within the necessary budget and time. 9NEXUS is known for offering a wide range of software outsourcing services. If you want to know more about developing a distributed development team, or if your company is struggling to locate top-tier developers locally, we can help you build your A-Team as experts in building dedicated engineering teams in the United Kingdom.